A little bird told me…

There are several cards I made this week and who knows if they’ll ever make their way to this blog- but here’s one of them that I actually liked quite a bit.

One technique I learned this week was using embossing as a resist for additional color on cards. I used a similar technique in some cards a few weeks ago (stamping an image, embossing then applying color over) however, this week the embossing was over a stamped and colored image.

The birds are from the TPC Studio “Whimsical Birds” stamp set and were stamped using Memento Tuxedo Black dye ink. I’ve found this ink doesn’t smudge and smear when using alcohol ink. To color the birds, I used Spectrum Noir alcohol markers in various reds, blues, greens and yellows.

IMG_4230[1]

I choose to use this brand over Copic marks since I’m on a rather limited crafting budget. A pack of six markers costs about $9 (using the 40% off coupon from Jo-Ann’s) and for me it’s much more cost effective to build up a collection of markers that way than drop several hundred on a couple dozen Copic markers. For me, the only real downside is that these markers do not have a brush tip like a Copic marker would. Because of this certain techniques don’t come across as well as they might when using Copics, but for the price, I’ll deal for now.

I thought I would never be done coloring in all those birds- way more ambitious of a project than I initially thought. Then I traced over each bird with a VersaMark watermark pen and added clear embossing powder as I went. I will say that this method was fairly fast once I got going, especially since I wasn’t trying to be super perfect with my clear embossing.

IMG_4231[1]

In the picture above, you can see how shiny the embossed birds are. I think they turned out pretty neat. I finished off the card front by giving it a messy wash of Tim Holtz distress ink in Tumbled Glass.

Now on to the assembly- I really wanted to showcase all the work I put into the birds so I decided to use some vellum for the sentiment. I wrote the sentiment in a white gel pen and traced over it several times to give it more depth. I trimmed it down to a banner and adhered it to the card using some Tombow Mono Vellum Adhesive. Finally the whole piece was adhered to some Bazzill marshmallow cardstock.

IMG_4228[1]

The image below shows how shiny the birds came out and just how clear that vellum adhesive is.

IMG_4232[1]

And there’s the card! Left with a somewhat open-ended greeting and very bright. Thanks for reading!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s