As part of my online card class, they assign “homework” each day, and of course it is all optional, to make a card using the sketches, color combinations, or techniques shown in that day’s class. Well here are two cards that I’ve made this week. And both are actually a bit out of my comfort zone. I’m not used to making cards with just simple colored paper (usually I break out two or three pads of patterned paper), although, I have to say that I’ve impressed myself.
The first card was inspired by one of the guest artists in the class. Although the focus from that particular day was stamping techniques, I decided to take a stab at making a window card.
Since I’m in college and working as an intern, I don’t have a ton of spending money rolling around. So, I recently ‘splurged’ and got my self a larger (1.75″) circle punch from EK Success. I really like their slim punches since they fold flat for easy storage. I have to say, I prefer this brand to other punches just because of this feature.
This was actually a pretty quick card to piece together. I began with some 0.5″ strips of paper, and adhered them to a piece of cardstock. I then punched out the circle where I wanted the sentiment to show through. On a piece of scrap cardstock I stamped the sentiment using some VersaFine onyx black ink and trimmed it down a bit so it would fit behind the cutout. I adhered it to the decorated cardstock using some foam adhesive and then put a bunch of foam adhesive on the card front to adhere it to the card base. Finally I placed some homemade flower pieces to the card and DONE! Just that simple.
The second card was out of my comfort zone because I’ve never made such a long rectangular card before. I cut the initial piece of cardstock for the base to 7″ by 8″ (so when scored and folded, it was 3.5″ by 8″).
I stamped the sentiment (from Paper Smooches) using some VersaMark ink and white ZING! AC Embossing Powder, then trimmed it down to about 2.5″ to give me a chunky half-inch border on the card. I used some Tombow MONO Vellum adhesive on this card and I’m actually starting to like this adhesive for vellum. It goes on smooth and stays pretty clear, although you may see a couple bits of glue here and there. I further kept the vellum down with some grey paper tape (washi tape) and finished it off with some more flower pieces. Again, another simple card but I think it’s very bright and I like it quite a bit.
Thanks for reading!